1 cup toor dal (washed and soaked for 30 minutes)
4-5 strips tamarind soaked for 5 minutes
(paste or pulp may also be used)
1 half ripped mango, peeled and cubed
2 tbsp sambar masala
1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
1 tsp. dhania powder
1 tsp. red chilli powder
1/2 tsp. each cumin and mustard seeds
3 whole red chillies
1 stalk curry leaves
1/2 cup pumpkin or bottle gourd boiled and cubed
1 large tomato
1 tbsp. chopped coriander leaves
2-3 flakes garlic
salt to taste
2 tbsp. oil
1. Add tamarind, 1/2 tomato & 1 onion chopped, to the dal.
2. Pressure cook till dal is done very soft. (Approx. 4 whistles)
3. Remove dal and beat with a whisk or churner till smooth.
4. Grind to a paste, 1 onion, 1/4 tomato, garlic, all dry masalas. Chop the remaining onion and tomato to medium or fine pieces.
5. Heat oil, add seeds, curry leaves and allow to splutter.
6. Add onion, pumpkin, tomato, mangoes and stir fry for 2 minutes.
7. Add paste, and cook for further 2 minutes.
8. Add dal and bring to a boil on high.
9. Add enough water to get sambar consistency.
10. Check and adjust masalas as required.
11. Simmer for 12-15 minutes on low, till the aroma exudes.
12. Add chopped coriander before serving.
13. Serve steaming hot with hot idlis, coconut chutney and ghee.