100 gms Sugar (Cheeni) per
1 kg of the vegetable pulp
1/2 kg pumpkin
250 grams potatoes
250 grams Carrots (Gajar)
20 grams onion, finely chopped
2 grams Garlic (Lasun), finely chopped
20 grams Ginger (Adrak), finely chopped
5 grams whole garam masala (1/2" Cinnamon (Dalchini),
5 Cloves (Lavang),
1 big cardamom tied in a muslin bag)
20 grams Salt (Namak)
2 to 3 grams Red chili pepper (Lal Mirchi)
2.5 grams glacial acetic acidsodium benzoate
1 gram per kilogram of the finished product
1 pinch of tomato red colour
100 grams Tamarind (Imli)
* Peel the green portion of pumpkin and remove the top seeds and thready portion. Cut the pumpkin into slices.
* Peel and cut the potatoes and carrots into small pieces.
* Cook all the vegetables along with onion, ginger and garlic with equal amount of water or to cover the vegetables along with the bag of spices (a little more than the equal amount can be added to cover the vegetables) and cook till the carrots are tender.
* Then strain and mash the vegetables and pass through a strainer (add a little water to strain the vegetables).
* In half a mug of water soak the tamarind for some time. Strain the pulp and mix with vegetable pulp.
* Cook the pulp with sugar, add colour and cook further till thick.
* Remove the sauce from fire, test on a plate.
* If done, pour into sterilised bottles and keep.