1 cup Urad(white) daal
1 Onion sliced
1 Tomato diced(optional)
1tsp Ginger grated
1-2 Green chilies
choppedCoriander leaves finely chopped
1tsp Cumin seeds (jeera)
2 bayleaves 2 cloves
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
Salt to taste
A pinch of Garam masala
Red chili powder to taste
1tsp lemon juice
* Clean and wash the daal properly. Soak it in water for 10-15 minutes.
* Boil it in 5 cups of water. Boil till it becomes soft. It should not become pasty. Remove the water and keep aside.
* Heat oil in a kadhai and add cloves, bayleaves and cumin seeds, allow to splutter.
* Now add ginger, onion and green chili and stir-fry till golden brown.
* Add tomato (if using) and fry till it softens. Add all dry masalas (turmericpowder, chili powder, salt) and fry for a moment.
* Now add daal and lemon juice, mix very gently.
* Sprinkle garam masala and garnish with coriander.
* Serve hot.